Advanced Search
Current and Breaking News for Professionals, Consumers and Media

Click here to learn how to advertise on this site and for ad rates.

Weather Issues Author: Staff Editor Last Updated: Sep 7, 2017 - 10:06:33 PM

Survival Tips for AFTER the Storm: Keep your Family Safe and Avoid Deadly Dangers

By Staff Editor
Oct 7, 2016 - 2:56:24 PM

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Ezine
For Email Marketing you can trust

Email this article
 Printer friendly page

( - WASHINGTON, D.C. – All eyes are on Hurricane Matthew as the deadly storm takes aim at the southeastern coast. Millions from Florida to the Carolinas are in its path and hundreds of thousands are already without power. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) wants people to know it’s always better to be safe than sorry and is warning about deadly dangers after a hurricane. 

First, consumers need to be especially careful during a loss of electrical power, as the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and fire increases at that time. About 70 people die every year and many more are injured from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by portable generators. Do not put your family at risk. Follow these important safety tips from CPSC.




-Use generators OUTSIDE ONLY.  Portable gasoline generators quickly produce high levels of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) and should never be used indoors, including inside a home, basement, shed or garage, even if doors or windows are open. CO is an invisible killer. It’s a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. CO from a generator used indoors can kill you and your family in minutes.                      



- Install CO alarms with battery backup in the home outside each sleeping area.

- Get to fresh air immediately if you start to feel sick, weak or dizzy. CO poisoning from exposure to generator exhaust can quickly lead to incapacitation and death.


- Never use charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal in an enclosed space can produce lethal levels of carbon monoxide.


- Use caution when burning candles. Use flashlights instead. If you must use candles, do not burn them on or near anything that can catch fire. Never leave burning candles unattended. Extinguish candles when you leave the room.


- Look for signs that your appliances have gotten wet. Discard electrical or gas appliances that have been wet because they pose electric shock and fire hazards.

- Before using your appliances, have a professional or your gas or electric company evaluate your home and replace all gas control valves, electrical wiring, circuit breakers, and fuses that have been under water.

CPSC spokespeople are available for interviews. Call the office of communications to arrange for an interview at 301- 504-7908.


For advertising/promo on please call Mike McCurdy at 877-634-9180 or email him at [email protected]

Top of Page

Weather Issues
Latest Headlines

+ A Clear Path to Safety: Keeping Our Backs Healthy and Our Walks Snow-Free
+ Global Warming and Zombie Pathogens
+ Getting Ready for the Summer Sun with 'green' Sunscreens
+ Seasonal Affective Disorder: Trying to Avoid Severe Winter Blues (VIDEO)
+ Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning During Winter Months
+ Arctic Grip Brings Frostbite Fears and Other Weather-related Worries (VIDEO)
+ Winter Storm Poses Risk for Seniors
+ That Feeling in Your Bones
+ 5 Facts About Winter Health
+ Cold Hands and Frigid Digits

Contact Us | Job Listings | Help | Site Map | About Us
Advertising Information | HND Press Release | Submit Information | Disclaimer

Site hosted by Sanchez Productions