Hints To Help You
The brochure suggests you:
- Make sure your home is energy efficient by installing a programmable thermostat and sealing and insulating ducts.
- Learn about energy assistance programs such as the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and utility no-cutoff programs.
- Avoid the risk of home fires by not using your stove or oven to heat your home.
- Make sure carbon monoxide detectors are installed and working properly.
- Learn about Weatherization Assistance Programs (WAP).
- Be sure to schedule a check-up of your heating equipment. Dirt and neglect are the No. 1 cause of heating system failure.
- Insulate water pipes to avoid freezing and bursting. Be sure to drain and turn off outside waterspouts.
- Identify alternative living arrangements should extreme weather conditions occur. Have a plan ready.
For further tips and a free copy of the brochure, which is available in English and Spanish, call (800) 677-1116 or download it at www.eldercare.gov. The Eldercare Locator is a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging.
For advertising/promos call Mike McCurdy at 877-634-9180 or email at [email protected] We have over 7,000 journalists who are subscribers.