Land Sharks (Toxic People) Don’t Live in the Water, but They Are as Dangerous as Real Sharks
Oct 7, 2013 - 12:02:42 AM
1. Frequently tells you what's wrong with you.
2. Talks down to you.
3. Intimidates you with insults or yelling, or slams doors or punches walls as a way of expressing anger.
4. Complains constantly about other people and their life.
5. Discourages you from going after your goals or aspirations.
6. Takes advantage of your kindness or your connections.
7. They live in constant crisis.
8. They are always negative.
9. They are unreliable and rarely follow through.
10. They will sell you out or lie to you if it helps them get ahead.
Land Sharks don't make you feel good about yourself or your life. They will tell you they need you and no one understands them like you do, but that is because they are manipulative, not because they are sincere. You can't win and/or be understood in an argument with a Land Shark, so the best thing you can do is avoid them or distance yourself if they are already in your life.
1. Make yourself less available, and no matter what their crisis do not enable them by listening or acting concerned.
2. Stand up for yourself, and don't allow them to blame you or others.
3. Tell them when they are being manipulative exactly what you are feeling without backing down.
4. Make new friends.
5. Don't let your guilt influence taking their calls and pleas for help. They are using you, and will cling to you because toxic people use up their resources quickly.
If you have never run into a Land Shark you are blessed, but they lurk everywhere. They are attracted to people who are non-judgmental and generous. Both these qualities are wonderful, so keep your attributes, but run away from the Land Shark. -Mary Jo Rapini
For more information or you FREE MONTHLY RELATIONSHIP TIPS: www.maryjorapini.com
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/maryjorapini
http://ustre.am/PLWS Struggling with low libido in your relationship
Married with small children at home and keeping your relationship close http://traffic.libsyn.com/sexandintimacy/MJR_ep_01.mp3
Improving your body image http://traffic.libsyn.com/sexandintimacy/MJR_ep_04.mp3
Talk to me on my fan page: http://www.facebook.com/maryjorapini
Tweet me: @ Mary Jo Rapini
Join me weekday Mornings for "Mind, Body, Soul with Mary Jo" on Fox 26 Houston at 9 A.M.
For advertising and promotion on HealthNewsDigest.com, call Mike McCurdy: 877-634-9180 or tvmike13@HealthNewsDigest.com. We have over 7,000 journalists as subscribers.