Divorce is commonplace now, but it isn’t easy. Many times when something becomes common, we devalue it or make light of it. Anyone who has gone through divorce has suffered the sleepless nights, the gut wrenching feeling of the legal papers, and the aftermath of watching the kids try to adapt to their new lifestyle. There are flags that wave when a divorce is highly likely. You may note a few of these in your marriage right now. If you see less than two, the marriage is salvageable. However, the more you have, the harder it will be to salvage the marriage.
1. Has it become impossible to talk to your spouse without it turning into a full blown argument?
2. Does your spouse curse you in front of your children? If your spouse continues to the point of upsetting the children, I would leave tonight (with your children).
3. Does your spouse threaten you? This is a flag you should never ignore, call the police and get out.
4. Does your spouse refuse to help with chores, child care, or financial obligations?
5. Does your spouse have friends of the opposite sex that they demand they see even at your request that it makes you insecure or threatened?
6. Does your spouse abuse drugs, alcohol, and or money in an addictive manner without trying to get help? This problem can jeopardize your life, as well as your children’s.
7. Does your spouse use discipline in a hurtful, abusive way with your children? We all read the story about the dad who punished his child with punches. This should never be tolerated. He has a problem, and you need to end your marriage with him if he won’t get help.
8. Does your spouse respect you? Do they talk down to you, or make you feel lower than them?
9. Does your spouse belittle your career and make fun of you?
10. Does your spouse resist personal growth? Do they want you to stay the same, even though you are a living thriving being? This is symbolic of a controlling person; they are also usually very insecure.
11. Does your spouse no longer desire you sexually? Do they resist by pointing out your faults? Do they compare you to other more desirable spouses?
12. Has your partner changed ethically or morally in a way that is not as loving and giving? It is worthwhile to check with your spouse if this happens. It could be sign of depression. Depression is treatable; you don’t have to divorce something you can treat.
13. Does your spouse avoid any opportunity to bring harmony or joy to the family?
14. Has your spouse been unhappy for so long that they have already given up on the marriage?
15. Has your spouse told you they don’t love you anymore, but are staying for the children’s sake? Children are happy if parents are happy. If you are unhappy in your marriage, your children know it. When they are small, they will act marital issues out. When they get bigger, they will take the pain of their parents’ marriage and act it out in destructive ways, such as teen drinking, body piercing, obesity, and sexual promiscuity. If you think you are hiding a bad marriage from your kids, you are deluding yourself.
A divorce is often seven years plus or minus two in the making. If your marriage is in trouble take every measure possible to salvage it. If many of these 15 flags are waving, you would be wise to consider letting it go. It sounds broken. –Mary Jo Rapini
For more information go to: Mary Jo Rapini
Talk to me on my fan page: http://www.facebook.com/maryjorapini
Tweet me: @ Mary Jo Rapini
Join me every Thursday Morning on “Mind, Body, Soul with Mary Jo” on Fox 26 at 9 a.m.
Subscribe to our FREE Ezine and receive current Health News, be eligible for discounted products/services and coupons related to your Health. We publish 24/7.
For advertising/promotion, email: email@example.com Or call toll free: 877- 634-9180
Top of Page
Us | Job Listings
| Help | Site
Map | About Us
Advertising Information | HND Press Release | Submit Information | Disclaimer