5 Tips for Responsible Holiday Entertaining
Nov 30, 2011 - 1:32:50 PM
(HealthNewsDigest.com) - WASHINGTON, D.C. – With the holiday entertaining season just around the corner, the Distilled Spirits Council is offering adult consumers an attractive, free brochure featuring tips on how to host responsible cocktail parties.
“As family and friends gather to celebrate the holidays or mark special occasions, the Distilled Spirits Council encourages everyone to make responsible decisions to ensure safe and happy celebrations,” said Peter Cressy, Distilled Spirits Council President.
The Council offers the following tips and recipes for hosting responsible cocktail parties: The free brochure can be viewed or ordered at the Distilled Spirits Council website at http://www.discus.org/media/cocktail.asp
1. Designate a bartender who can serve your guests and keep an eye on how much everyone is drinking. The Federal Dietary Guidelines define moderate drinking as up to two drinks per day for men and up to one drink per day for women. (http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines)
2. Remember – alcohol is alcohol. It is important to understand that a standard drink of regular beer (12 fluid ounces), wine (five fluid ounces), and spirits (a cocktail with 1.5 fluid ounces of 80-proof spirits) each contains the same amount of alcohol, 0.6 fluid ounces of alcohol. (www.standarddrinks.com)
3. Make sure that you provide food to complement your cocktails. Consider food pairings to enhance the flavor of your chosen cocktails: fresh seafood and breads accentuate vodka cocktails, spiced and smoked meats and cheeses complement Bourbon and Scotch whiskies, and fruit enhances Rum and Tequila flavors.
4. Make available non-alcohol beverages for your guests. Create festive non-alcohol punch for those guests who choose not to drink alcohol.
Herbal Cooler Punch: 2 cups brewed peppermint tea, 2 cups brewed red zinger tea, 2 cups cranberry juice. Mix and serve over ice block with lemon wedge. Ice block can be easily prepared by freezing water in one quart container (or whatever size carryout container you have available). Microwave for a few seconds once frozen for ease of removing from container.
5. Make sure your guests have a safe way home either through designated drivers or a taxi. Have local taxi service numbers available for your guests.
The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States is a national trade association representing the leading brands of distilled spirits. Council member products include the full spectrum of quality distilled spirits such as Bourbon, Scotch and other whiskeys, vodka, gin, tequila, rum, brandy, cordials and liqueurs. The distillers take special pride in their products as well as in their commitment to encourage responsible beverage alcohol consumption by adults who choose to drink. If you choose to drink, be sure to consume sensibly and responsibly.
For advertising and promotion on HealthNewsDigest.com please contact Mike McCurdy: tvmike13@HealthNewsDigest.com or 877-634-9180
HealthNewsDigest.com is syndicated worldwide and has over 8,000 journalists as subscribers.
© Copyright by HealthNewsDigest.com