Whether you’re going back to your parents’ place, your new grad school housing or a place of your own (with or without roommates), you have to get all your stuff there.
Here are 10 hints on how, from the experts on moving at Penske Truck Rental:
1. Order the right truck in advance. For most students, a 12- or 16-foot truck will do. Bear in mind, you’re not the only one moving out. Try to reserve the truck and any accessories—boxes, packing tape, bubble packing material, moving blankets, hand trucks and so on—at least two weeks in advance.
2. Get to know the truck. Learn what all the switches and gauges do. Adjust the seat and side mirrors. Be aware that trucks have oversized blind spots and are tougher to turn than a car.
3. Plan out how long it will take you to get where you’re going. Take into account the time of day, traffic patterns and stops. Consider that the truck is probably taller, wider and heavier than what you’re used to driving so you may have to drive more slowly.
4. Read the rental agreement. Note that the U.S. Department of Transportation prohibits the “carrying or hauling of explosives and other dangerous articles.” You can’t pack paint, chemicals and cleaning materials, flammable solvents, propane, gasoline and the like.
5. Insure yourself. Most insurance and credit card companies don’t cover truck rentals. Consider additional coverage.
6. Pack properly. Put the heaviest items on the truck first. Lift with your legs, not your back.
7. Pack a separate travel bag. Put in any items you may need in a hurry: paperwork, credit cards, identification, a change of clothes, medicine, drinks and snacks.
8. See if you qualify for any discounts. For example, Penske Truck Rental offers a price break to members of AAA.
9. Find a travel companion. Sharing the ride can help with the costs, the driving and the packing.
10. Be safe. Park in well-lit areas and keep a padlock on the rear door. In an emergency, you can call Penske for roadside assistance at any time, day or night.
For further tips, go to www.PenskeTruckRental.com or call (800) GO-PENSKE.