Many supplement makers appear to be using substandard milk thistle extract ingredient in their products. This can happen if they rely on non-specific tests, such as UV spectrophotometric analysis, which falsely inflate the silymarin content of an extract by counting other compounds that are not silymarin. In contrast, ConsumerLab.com used a highly specific HPLC method to test the products. Some milk thistle ingredient suppliers offer a higher-priced extract (certified with the HPLC test) and a lower-priced extract (certified with the non-specific UV test). The FDA does not set standards for the quality of herbal supplements nor specify how they must be tested, so manufacturers may choose either form of milk thistle. Consumers normally have no way of knowing which form they purchase other than from ConsumerLab.com's independent reports.
ConsumerLab.com's Product Review of Milk Thistle Supplements can be found atwww.consumerlab.com/results/
- Bluebonnet Herbals Milk Thistle Extract
- Dr. Whitaker Milk Thistle Liver Cleanse
- Jarrow Formulas Milk Thistle Extract 30:1
- Natrol Milk Thistle Advantage
- Natural Factors Milk Thistle Extract 80% Silymarin
- Nature's Plus Milk Thistle Extended Release
- NutriCology Phyllanthus Complex
- Pure Encapsulations Silymarin Milk Thistle Extract
- Rainbow Light Milk Thistle Plus
- Shaklee Liver DTX Complex
- Trunature (Costco) Milk Thistle
ConsumerLab.com is a leading provider of consumer information and independent evaluations of products that affect health and nutrition. Reviews of other popular types of supplements are available fromwww.consumerlab.com. Subscription to ConsumerLab.com is available online. The company is privately held and based in Westchester, New York. It has no ownership from, or interest in, companies that manufacture, distribute, or sell consumer products.
For advertising and promotion on HealthNewsDigest.com please contact Mike McCurdy: tvmike13@HealthNewsDigest.com or 877-634-9180HealthNewsDigest.com is syndicated worldwide, to thousands of journalists in all media, and health-related websites. www.HealthNewsDigest.com