Signs Of Unsafe Driving In Older Adults
May 10, 2017 - 4:07:21 PM
But transitioning from driving doesn’t mean you have to lose these things. Your health care providers or Area Agency on Aging (www.eldercare.gov) can point you toward a range of transportation alternatives in the community. The first step toward finding those tools is recognizing when you might need them.
Signs that an Older Adult’s Driving Skills Need Testing
So how do you know whether you or an older adult you know is developing difficulties as a driver? These issues can be warning signs that suggest that an older driver may need to be tested or evaluated:
• Getting lost in familiar areas
• Ignoring traffic signs and signals
• Becoming easily agitated or angered
• Falling asleep or being unable to concentrate when driving
• Reacting too slowly to dangerous situations
• Forgetting or ignoring driving basics (like yielding to the right of way)
• Having trouble judging distances.
Visit www.HealthinAging.org for more.