(HealthNewsDigest.com) - Grilling can provide some tasty dishes, but it also can cause unexpected burns, scalding, and fires. To help avoid unintended consequences, physicians at UT Southwestern Medical Center urge caution for those who are grilling as well as socializing.
"When you're smelling the barbecue, it's easy to forget that grills - both gas and charcoal - are still an open source of flame and a potential danger," says Dr. Brett Arnoldo, a burn surgeon at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Some common precautions to prevent burns include:
Don't pour water directly on coals. Beware of steam that can rise up unexpectedly and scald.
Use baking powder to help contain grease fires. Always have an extinguisher nearby in case flames get out of control or something else nearby catches fire.
Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and pets and away from any source of heat, including grills, fire pits, and chimineas. Never use gasoline as a source of ignition.
Never leave a lit grill unattended and designate an area around the grill for children to avoid. Children and pets should remain at least three feet from a grill to help avoid burns or accidentally knocking over the grill. Don't lean directly over the grill. Be aware of clothing such as scarves, shirt tails, or apron strings that can catch fire when bending over. Consider flame-retardant oven mitts and long utensils to avoid burns.
Never try to move a hot grill. Be sure to wait for coals to cool off before disposing.
Also remember to avoid toxic fumes from charcoal. Burning charcoal produces carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas. Never burn charcoal indoors or in tents, RVs, campers, or other enclosed spaces.
For advertising and promotion on www.HealthNewsDigest.com contact Mike McCurdy at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-634-9180. We are syndicated worldwide and read in 164 countries. We also have over 7,000 journalists as subscribers who may use our content for their own media!