Ranges accounted for the largest share (58%) of home cooking fire incidents. "Prevention is the core of our "Guardian Solution,' range top suppression system," said Paul Rouse, GSSI's administrative officer. "The time to protect yourself against a range top fire is before it strikes. By simply installing the Guardian, you can rest at ease." He added that kitchens can be retrofitted as well. With the system, a fire can be extinguished in as little as seven seconds (video).
The 10 tips for kitchen fire safety are:
1. Never leave a room while cooking.
2. If you must leave the room while cooking, turn off the stove.
3. Keep pot handles turned to the back of the stove so children cannot grab them.
4. Wear short sleeves or tight sleeves while cooking so nothing dangles near a flame.
5. Keep paper, towels, pot holders, wooden utensils and curtains away from the cooking area.
6. Have one or more fire extinguishers handy and know how to use them.
7. Keep stove tops clean; remove built up grease and spilled food.
8. Never throw water on a grease fire - smother it with a pan lid instead.
9. Keep children and pets out of the "kid-free" zone three feet from the stove.
10. Have a fire escape plan, and review and rehearse it often.
The Guardian is designed to detect and extinguish cooking fires and at the same time
prevents re-ignition. Once it detects heat at a pre-determined temperature, a signal is sent to release the extinguishing agent to suppress the fire and to shut off the gas or electric supply to the stove in order to prevent reigniting. "Whether it is a single home or an apartment at risk, putting the fire out quickly is imperative to minimize damage and injury," Rouse said.
Protecting families worldwide since 1985, Guardian Safety Solutions International Inc. is the recognized leader in the development and manufacturing of residential range top fire protection systems. GSSI's mission is to develop and distribute quality safety products that provide customers with peace of mind, while protecting lives and property. GSSI manufactures the Guardian III Model G300B, UL and ULC listed with a fuel shut-off.
For advertising and promotion on HealthNewsDigest.com, call Mike McCurdy: 877-634-9180 or tvmike13@HealthNewsDigest.com. We have over 7,000 journalists as subscribers.
Top of Page
Us | Job Listings
| Help | Site
Map | About Us
Advertising Information | HND Press Release | Submit Information | Disclaimer