Small studies, including one conducted by The Dr. Oz Show, have shown that people taking supplements with GCBE lose about three pounds per month without a required change in diet or activity. Those given placebo lose about one pound per month. The daily dosage found to be effective has ranged from approximately 200 mg to 1,200 mg of extract, 45% to 50% of which is chlorogenic acids.
"Although a GCBE supplement may be helpful, you can't trust every brand," said Tod Cooperman, M.D., President of ConsumerLab.com. "We often see a large percentage of products fail our tests when there is new demand for a supplement and a rush by companies to meet that demand -- as with green coffee bean extract." Dr. Cooperman added that reducing calories in the diet and increasing exercise remain the best approach to weight management.
Four products passed ConsumerLab.com's testing, as did an additional three products tested through ConsumerLab.com's Voluntary Certification Program. Among the approved products, the cost to get a 400 mg dose of extract ranged by more than 300%, with the lowest cost being 20 cents.
ConsumerLab.com also tested a Starbucks "green coffee extract" drink mix and found a considerable amount of chlorogenic acids, equivalent to about 180 mg of extract per serving.
The new report is available at
https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/green_coffee/greencoffee/. The report provides results and quality ratings for each product listed below, as well as ingredient and cost comparisons and information about dosage and potential side effects with green coffee bean extract.
• Futurebiotics Green Coffee Bean Extract
• Genesis Today Pure Green Coffee Bean
• Labrada Nutrition Green Coffee Bean Extract
• Life Extension Green Coffee Extract CoffeeGenic
• MӓritzMayer Laboratories Pure Super Green Coffee Bean Extract
• Nutri-Fusion Systems Green Coffee Bean Extract
• Paradise Green Coffee Bean
• Pure Health Naturally Pure Green Coffee Bean
• ResVitále Green Coffee Bean
• Starbucks VIA Refreshers Cool Lime with Green Coffee Extract
• Vitacost Green Coffee Bean Extract
• Vitamin World Green Coffee Bean Extract
ConsumerLab.com is a leading provider of consumer information and independent evaluations of products that affect health and nutrition. The company is privately held and based in Westchester, New York. It has no ownership from, or interest in, companies that manufacture, distribute, or sell consumer products. Subscription to www.ConsumerLab.com is available online.