"People often don't realize just how important the quality of food is that they feed their pets," explains Will Post, president of Hound & Gatos Pet Food Corporation. "Yet it is something that is done every day and helps in nearly every aspect of the pet's well being. The pet's diet is so important and should not be overlooked."
Just as diet impacts human health, so to does it impact the health of the millions of cats and dogs that people have as pets around the nation. An unhealthy diet prevents pets from getting the nutrition they need in order to be healthy. Here are 5 ways a pet's diet can impact their health:
- Allergies and sensitivities. Many dogs and cats suffer from problems such as irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease. One of the best ways to help treat it is for them to avoid ingredients in pet foods that may bother them, including things like corn, soy, dyes, and preservatives.
- Urinary tract problems.Many dogs experience urinary tract problems, including stones or crystals, and inflammation and infection. Dogs tend to do better eating food that contains more water content, such as canned foods. The canned foods not only contain more water, but they also usually contain more meat.
- Weight issues.It is estimated that 25 percent of all dogs in the country are overweight. This is often a result of them being overfed or being fed the wrong things, such as table scraps and too many treats. Weight problems can lead to numerous other health and quality of life issues.
- Diabetes.The dogs that are overweight are also more prone to developing diabetes, which can lead to a variety of quality of life and health issues on its own.
- Dental concerns.Pets who are not eating a healthy diet can also suffer from dental problems, such as periodontal disease. While many people buy dry pet food because it is more cost effective, it can tend to be harder on the teeth for many cats and dogs.
"People often give the lower quality pet foods to their cats and dogs because it is cheaper," added Post. "But in the long run it is not cheaper, not when you add in the health problems that can arise. Better quality food can help your pet avoid being sick and having more visits with the veterinarian."
When it comes to making a pet food switch, to a higher quality diet, plan it to take place over the course of a few days. Mix the higher quality pet food with the other one, increasing the amount each day, until the pet is eating only the higher quality food. A smoother transition like this will be easier for the pet to adjust to.
Hound & Gatos specializes in providing a line of pet foods that is all natural and 100 percent meat, which is closer to what their diet should be. Their products do not contain any plant protein, fillers, or by products, like most pet foods do on the store shelves. Their foods do not contain things like rendered animal fats, corn, soy, wheat, sugar, and artificial flavors and preservatives, all of which can be difficult for a pet's digestive system.
The company is dubbed as the original Paleolithic pet food company. Their recipes are 100 percent animal protein, zero percent plant protein, with the number one ingredient being meat. They only use top ingredients, providing pets pure nutrition, and avoiding all by-products, fillers, and artificial ingredients. To learn more about Hound & Gatos, including where to buy products, visit their site at:www.houndgatos.com
About Hound & Gatos Pet Foods Corporation
Hound & Gatos Pet Foods Corporation is based in Atlanta, Georgia. Their mission is to provide the public with high quality pet food options for dogs and cats. Their line of pet foods focus on all quality ingredients that provide maximum nutrition, and avoid all bi-products and other ingredients that would generally be unnatural to a pet's diet. For more information on Hound & Gatos visit the site at www.houndgatos.com.
# # #
For advertising and promotion on HealthNewsDigest.com call Mike McCurdy at 877-634-9180 or [email protected] We have over 7,000 journalists as subscribers who have access to our content for their own media.