Advanced Search
Current and Breaking News for Professionals, Consumers and Media



Click here to learn how to advertise on this site and for ad rates.

News : National Author: Staff Editor Last Updated: Apr 14, 2014 - 2:26:58 PM



Picking Wild Mushrooms Can Be Deadly

By Staff Editor
Apr 14, 2014 - 2:21:30 PM



Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Ezine
For Email Marketing you can trust


Email this article
 Printer friendly page

(HealthNewsDigest.com) - San Francisco - April 14, 2014 - Tasty mushrooms are a staple for many dishes, but buying cultivated varieties at a reputable food market is far safer than collecting and eating wild mushrooms, according to experts at California Poison Control System (CPCS).

Dr. Richard Geller, medical director for the CPCS at Children's Hospital, Madera, says, "No matter how experienced one is at mushroom identification, there is always a risk in eating wild mushrooms.  There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but no old, bold mushroom hunters. Contrary to folklore which says poison mushrooms are brightly colored, poison mushrooms typically look like most edible mushrooms."  Annually, there are more than 1000 cases of poisonous mushroom ingestion reported to CPCS.  Fatalities are uncommon, but several occur almost yearly.

Eating poisonous mushrooms can cause abdominal pain, cramping, vomiting, diarrhea, liver damage and death.  The most serious illnesses and deaths have been linked to mushrooms that cause liver damage, including Amanita ocreata, or "destroying angel" and Amanita phalloides, also known as the "death cap."  Symptoms typically develop six to 12 hours after eating. Individuals with symptoms following wild mushroom ingestion or their health care providers should immediately contact CPCS at 1-800-222-1222.

Suggested Tweet:  Never eat wild mushrooms which are still not safe after cooking. Call 1-800-222-1222.

About CPCS

You can learn more about a variety of poison issues by following CPCS on Facebook and on Twitter @poisoninfo.  Sign up for weekly safety text messages to your cell phone by texting TIPS to 69866; and download a free iPhone or Android app at Choose Your Poison.  CPCS is dedicated to providing California residents with the most up-to-date information and 24-hour help in case of poisoning. In case of an accidental poisoning, consumers should immediately call 1-800-222-1222 for advice. Specially trained pharmacists, nurses, physicians and poison information providers are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to help. In most cases, a poison exposure can be safely managed in your home, avoiding a call to 911 or a visit to a crowded hospital emergency department.

###


For advertising or promotion on HealthNewsDigest.com, call Mike McCurdy at: 877-634-9180. We have over 7,000 journalists as subscribers and may use our content

 



Top of Page

HealthNewsDigest.com

National
Latest Headlines


+ Red Star Rescue Team Rushes to Save Over 100 Suffering Animals
+ Strong Neighborhood Ties Can Help Reduce Gun Violence
+ Clinic To Help Prevent Patients From Falling
+ Is the Label 'hypoallergenic' Helpful or Just Marketing Hype?
+ Targeted Computer Games Can Change Behavior of Psychopaths
+ Radiologist Launches Company to Improve Patient Communication
+ CDC Year in Review: 'Mission: Critical'
+ Conflating Contraception with Abortion is Part of a Strategic Campaign to Restrict Access to Both
+ AMA: U.S. Policy Must Not Conflict with Core Values of Medical Ethics
+ UNMC Professor Receives Prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award



Contact Us | Job Listings | Help | Site Map | About Us
Advertising Information | HND Press Release | Submit Information | Disclaimer

Site hosted by Sanchez Productions