“This is a great time to show our appreciation for the tremendous sacrifices our military men and women make every day,” explains Nicole Motsek, executive director of the EOD Warrior Foundation. “Even a small act of gratitude goes a long way.”
Here are some tips for honoring the deployed and their families:
- Find a charitable event to be a part of, such as a 5K run/walk, golf tournament, or bicycle ride. Many military-associated charities offer fun events that help to raise money that is used to give back to the military families in need.
- Do something nice for a family member of a deployed warrior. Whether it’s inviting them over for dinner or offering a free afternoon of babysitting, the gesture will be greatly appreciated.
- Volunteer at an organization that supports military servicemen and women, and their families. Whether helping during events or assisting with fundraising, every position shows gratitude.
- Make a donation to charities that support families with a deployed warrior. For example, the EOD Warrior Foundation provides financial assistance to EOD warrior families in need, helping them with everything from medical expenses to college scholarships.
- Send a letter, card, or care package to those who are deployed. A note of gratitude will be appreciated. Care packages could include simple items such as magazines, books, candy, and snacks.
- Display a yellow ribbon on your home or car. A yellow ribbon has been a symbol of military support for many years.
“Anytime of the year is a great time to show gratitude for the deployed, but this day serves as a great reminder,” added Motsek. “Our deployed sacrifice so much, as do their families, that they deserve a special day set aside for being recognized for their efforts, which we as a nation deeply appreciate.”
The EOD Warrior Foundation is an organization that helps the families of the 7,000 people in our military who are Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) technicians, and perform bomb disposal duties. Engaging in the most dangerous job in the military, EOD technicians often sustain serious injuries, lose limbs, or are killed in action. The EOD Warrior Foundation helps this elite group by providing financial relief, therapeutic healing retreats, a scholarship program, care of the EOD Memorial Wall located at Eglin AFB, Fla. and more. Their work is supported by private donations and the generosity of those who support the organization. To learn more about the EOD Warrior Foundation, or see their fundraising events calendar, visit their site at: www.eodwarriorfoundation.
About EOD Warrior Foundation
The EOD Warrior Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to help EOD warriors and their family members with a priority on wounded EOD warriors and the families of fallen EOD warriors. Specific programs include financial relief, college scholarships, hope and wellness programs that include therapeutic healing retreats, and care for the EOD Memorial Wall located at Eglin AFB, Fla. To learn more about the EOD Warrior Foundation, or see their events calendar, visit their site at: www.eodwarriorfoundation.
# # #