While having children later in life definitely has its upsides, it also has a downside: getting back into pre-pregnancy shape can prove to be a little bit harder than when in your 20's and 30's. Erika Boom, Certified Personal Trainer and Certified Prenatal and Postnatal Instructor, understands the perils of getting back into shape post-pregnancy, which is why she opened Belly-n-KicksTM - the first and only studio in Miami that is completely dedicated to prenatal and post-natal exercises.
"Maintaining a healthy exercise regimen is important for any expectant mom, but it is even more important for more mature mothers to keep in mind," Erika says. "The body is miraculous in the way that it can bounce back after something as physically demanding as a pregnancy, but as you get older the recovery is much slower."
Below, Erika outlines the three most important concerns for women over 35, and the benefits of a steady prenatal workout regimen.
- Women over 35 have slower metabolism. This means that they might have a harder time bouncing back after the baby is born, especially if they put on extra weight from an overindulgence of foods due to cravings. "Cravings are a normal part of pregnancy- hormonal changes may have you craving something you've never even liked before. The main thing to remember is that there is a difference between healthy pregnancy weight gain and going overboard," says Erika. A prenatal strength-training program could help by speeding up their metabolism by building muscle mass- making the weight loss after giving birth easier.
- Women over 35 also product less collagen. Less collagen means that the skin is weaker and less elastic, making it more prone to stretch marks. Stretch marks occur when the skin is stretched due to rapid weight gain. "A prenatal exercise program keeps the weight gain down during pregnancy, thus reducing the chances of getting stretch marks," Erika explains.
- Since women over 35 usually have less muscle tone, it is even more important for them to rehab the core after having a baby. "Pelvic floor and transverse work have proven very effective in getting those abs back to where they're supposed to be, giving you back the muscle tone you may have thought was forever lost. I regularly incorporate these workouts into my Belly-n-Kicks routines."
Established in 2003, Belly-n-KicksTM is the first studio in Miami completely dedicated to prenatal and post-natal exercise. Actively involved in the fitness industry for over ten years, fitness expert Erika Boom understands that each woman and each pregnancy are unique. For this reason, there is no standard exercise prescription to follow if pregnant women want to keep working out for the whole nine months. A personalized prenatal and postnatal exercise program from Belly-n-KicksTM helps moms-to-be design a plan based on their individual interests, needs and conditions.
Belly-n-KicksTM proven and effective methodology incorporates elements of strength training, isometrics, core stabilization and controlled stretching techniques. After the baby is born, Belly-n-KicksTM certified trainers surround the above exercise variables within a circuit format that enhances metabolic fat loss.
The Belly-n-KicksTM studio is located at 258 SW 8th Street Miami, FL 33130.
Meet Erika Boom, Prenatal & Postnatal Fitness Expert, Owner & Founder of
A resident of Florida, Erika Boom has been a staple in the fitness industry for over a decade. Born in Colombia and fluent in both English and Spanish, Erika is a Certified Personal Trainer through the American Council on Exercise (ACE®) and a Certified Prenatal and Postnatal Instructor.
In 2003, Erika opened the doors to Belly-n-KicksTM, the first and only studio in Miami that is completely dedicated to prenatal and post-natal exercise. Erika designs personalized workout sessions and offers nutritional recommendations for each expectant woman based on her individual interests, needs and conditions.
As a mother and fitness enthusiast, Erika has a unique connection with her clients that stems from her own personal journey toward wellness.
"For ten years, we have helped women of all ages look and feel better during a time when their body is changing. Regular exercise builds bones and muscles, gives you energy, and keeps you healthy. It is just as important when you are pregnant
and after your baby is born."
A Love of Fitness & Wellness
Erika has a passion for helping people to change both their body and mind. She embodies the belief that results are also about having a positive attitude. Erika works on helping her clients to stay positive and makes her workouts both challenging and rewarding. The Belly-n-KicksTM program is designed to produce results while having fun!
- Florida Half Ironman Triathlon Finisher, 2004.
- Great Floridian Half Ironman Triathlon Finisher, 2003.
- Keno Brothers Duathlon Series 2002, 1st in Age Group, 5th Female Overall.
- Huntington's Disease Relay Triathlon 2002, USAT sanctioned, 1st in Women, 3rd Overall
Participated and placed in numerous Half Marathons, 10K and 5K races including University of Miami Pumpkin Pursuit, AIDS Race for the Cure, Miami Tropical Marathon, etc.
For advertising and promotion on HealthNewsDigest.com, call Mike McCurdy: 877-634-9180 or [email protected] We have over 6,000 journalists as subscribers.