After a year in which the performance of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs came under scrutiny, The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2015 presents "American Veterans: A Status Report," revealing important information on the health, employment, education, and future prospects of American veterans. Other new additions include the first available data on the implementation of the new health insurance exchanges under "Obamacare," as well as "World Almanac® Editors' Picks: Most Controversial Sports Team Owners," which features the most controversial franchise owners of past and present professional sports teams. Popular sections such as "Year in Sports," "Top 10 News Topics," "The World at a Glance," and "Time Capsule" make their return.
"From its cover to its content, The World Almanac® embodies the must-know events and surprising developments that characterize the year 2014," said Sarah Janssen, Senior Editor of The World Almanac®. "We are proud that even as the world swiftly changes, The World Almanac® and Book of Facts has remained a constant, authoritative source for more than a century, fulfilling all the entertainment, reference, and learning needs of readers around the country."
Highlights from The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2015 include:
- American Veterans: A Status Report-Special feature that reveals important statistics and information on the health, employment, education, and future prospects of American veterans and their families.
- Health Care Statistics-U.S. health care policy by the numbers, including the first official statistics on the ongoing implementation of health care reform and health insurance marketplace enrollment, consumer costs, and much more.
· Ebola Outbreak Facts-The World Almanac® offers an authoritative and informative overview of the 2014 epidemic.
· Election Results-Review the complete state-by-state results from 2014 midterm elections.
· World Almanac® Editors' Picks: Most Controversial Sports Team Owners-From Walter O'Malley to George Steinbrenner to Donald Sterling, the owners of sports teams have the power to change the game or alienate fans. The editors of The World Almanac® choose the most controversial franchise owners of past and present professional sports teams.
· Year in Sports-Flip through hundreds of pages of trivia and statistics that are essential for any sports fan, featuring complete coverage of the Men's World Cup in Brazil,2014 World Series, Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, and much more.
· Year in Pictures-Striking full-color images from around the world in 2014 illustrate the top events in news, pop culture, science, and sports.
· Top 10 News Topics-From Ferguson, Missouri, to Iraq and Syria, the editors ofThe World Almanac® name the top stories that held their attention in 2014.
· Time Capsule-The World Almanac® features the items that most came to symbolize the year 2014, from news and sports to pop culture.
· Offbeat News Stories-Recap some of the strangest news stories of the year withThe World Almanac® editors' selection of off-the-wall news stories you might have missed, including the year's most unusual celebrity pinup (Pope Francis) and the four-legged creature that took over the White House gardens.
· The World at a Glance-This annual feature of The World Almanac® provides a quick look at the surprising stats and curious facts that define the changing world today.
The World Almanac® and Book of Facts 2015 is available for purchase atwww.worldalmanac.com and wherever books are sold. For the eBook version, please check your online retailer.
About The World Almanac®
The World Almanac®'s history as a publisher of award-winning reference titles dates back more than 140 years. The imprint includes the iconic title The World Almanac® and Book of Facts, the best-selling American reference book of all time.
The World Almanac® brand is part of Infobase Holdings (www.infobaseholdings.com), an educational media company that owns such well-known brands as Facts On File, Films Media Group, Chelsea House, Bloom's, and Ferguson's. Infobase is a portfolio company investment of Veronis Suhler Stevenson (www.vss.com), a private equity firm that invests in the media, information, and education industries.
# # #
TITLE: THE WORLD ALMANAC® AND BOOK OF FACTS 2015
PUBLISHER: The World Almanac®
ON-SALE DATE: December 2, 2014
PAGES: 1,008 pp.
PAPERBACK: ISBN 978-1-60057-190-9
PRICE: Paperback $13.99
TRIM SIZE: Paperback 5 3/8" x 8"
For advertising/promotions on HealthNewsDigest.com call Mike McCurdy: 877-634-9180 or email at [email protected] We have over 6,000 journalists as subscribers